Well, what a summer it has been so far.
Here in the UK we are normally excited at the prospect of summer and the 3 days of glorious sunshine that it brings with it.
We take to social media to proclaim our love for the heat, and post as many possible pictures of our gardens, drinks and paddling pools as we can as we know it won’t last…. till this year.
Being nearly *cough cough* 39 years old. I have to say that summers have never really floated my boat I am much more a spring day kinda gal but after a full on summer with extremes of heat here are 10 things I have learnt about living in a heatwave.
1, I am not built for heat. I am fat folks and being hot and sweaty along with having extra rolls does not a happy Jaime make!
2, Artificial grass needs to be installed as soon as possible, dried out grass with the texture of straw is vile under foot, vile to look at and no fun to play on what so ever.
3, I need to stop buying in ice cubes. Yes, I am one of this lazy folks that buys in ice cubes because I am too lazy to make them. This summer I have spent a vast fortune on frozen water which is ridicules, and like I say, lazy
4, Never wait to buy a fan, Waiting till they might be a bit cheaper is a stupid and pointless exercise that only ends up with you being sweaty and sadly disappointed.
5. Dyson fans are not all they have cracked up to be. Having got the cool air fan and enjoyed it until recently I can categorically say they are no match for 30+ degree heat and at their current price bracket they are a total waste of money.
6. I need to buy air conditioning units in bulk. People this summer have been practically fighting over portable air con units so if I could guarantee next years heat I would buying these units in bulk and cashing in!
7. People panic buy. No matter if its fans or cobs us brits are utter morons and panic buy no matter if the temperature goes up or down.
8. Monsters do not live under my bed. After 38 years of being convinced a bare foot hanging out of bed would mean the monsters under the bed would take a nibble or worse drag me under, I can confirm it has been too hot to care and instead I have risked sleeping without any coverings at all and I have survived. However I can not confirm that monsters don’t live under there, it maybe they are just so peeved with the heat too that they can’t be bothered to actually eat like the rest of us.
9. Loud Music in the garden is always a nuisance. When the sun comes out some people think they have the right to play music till the early hours in the morning outside and force us all to listen along to or accept suffocation at closing all the windows. And its not just music, TV’s have been taken into gardens too … So people a little background music is ok but think before you force your neighbours to listen to your best of rock CD on loud for 8 hours or late at night. You are not going to make friends on your street!
So these are some of the things I have noticed during this heatwave. What have you noticed?