I am taking part in the #52LittleThings challenge with AXA PPP healthcare to make small changes in my lifestyle, one week at a time to become a healthier and happier person.
This week it’s all about creating a sleep routine, which is something I really need to make a go of after weeks of not sleeping properly.
Back on week 9 of the #52LittleThings challenge I looked at why we should all be getting better sleep and had drafted some ideas of what I was going to do to make sure I got it but what I hadn’t planned for was months on an uncomfortable mattress and so in recent weeks we changed our failing mattress and upgraded to a memory foam mattress instead, which has helped.
However I still have to get myself into a better sleep routine and so this weeks challenge is perfect for me right now!
So after reading this article on Are you getting enough sleep I am setting myself very strict targets this time to make sure when its time for sleep its time for sleep!
So here it is:
- get into a regular sleep-wake routine as soon as possible (no more working at night)
- avoiding caffeine, alcohol, nicotine, and other chemicals that interfere with sleep (gave up smoking last year but working on the caffeine!)
- make your room comfortable (New mattress and fresh bedding is a perfect combo right now … oh and a little fresh air with the window open)
- try to establish a before bed, calm routine (for me that means switching off the iPad, phone and laptop and maybe picking my paperback book back up)
- cut out the Nana naps too close to my bedtime (OK I am terrible at that .. I often nap late afternoon/early evening and then wonder why I can’t sleep!)
- stop eating to close to bedtime ( I did this all the time .. heartburn is a nightmare at 3am)
So there you have it, this is what I am planning to get into a better sleep routine!
Do you need a better sleep routine?
Disclaimer: This post was written in collaboration with AXA PPP healthcare’s #52LittleThings and I have been compensated for this post. However all words and thoughts were developed and written by members of The Oliver’s Madhouse