Fire isn’t something we worry too much about in today’s world. There was a time where house fires seemed to be in the news often, we all knew about the dangers of chip pans, and fire safety was a popular topic. Nowadays, you rarely hear about fires, we hardly ever see fire engines on the streets, and no one has a chip pan. Small local fire stations are closed down and replaced with larger stations that cover bigger areas, and fire safety isn’t something that we concern ourselves with.
This can be a mistake. Sure, house fires aren’t as frequent as they once were thanks to great education and safer furniture and products. But, that certainly doesn’t mean that they never happen. Often, when they do, it’s because of a lack of care and complacency in the home.
Do You Have Fire Doors?
Most of us don’t actually know if our doors are fire safe or not. We buy a house or move into a rented home, and the doors are already there, it’s not until you need replacements that you consider it. But, Newview can help you spot the difference. Fire doors when adequately fitted and looked after can help contain a fire, keeping you and your family safe in the unlikely event of a fire at home.
Are Your Phone Chargers Damages?
A leading cause of house fires in the modern world is damaged and old mobile phone chargers, or cheap alternatives to the ones that come with devices. We’ve all seen them, with wires hanging out and rips in the casing. Most of us also charge our phones overnight, or when we’re out of the house. These damaged wires are a considerable risk. Replace yours as soon as they show any signs of wear, and only charge up when you are awake and around.
Are You a Candle Fan?
Many of us light candles at home. They improve the atmosphere, they smell nice, and they look good. When used correctly, a candle is an excellent addition to your home. But, left unattended and they can cause fires. Never leave a candle alone in a room and double check that you’ve blown them out before bed.
Do You Use Hair Straighteners?
Hair straighteners and other heated beauty products get ridiculously hot. Most modern appliances cut off when they reach a certain temperature, or when they’ve been on for too long. But, even then, at such a high temperature it can be too late. If you use these kinds of products in your home, make sure they are switched off, unplugged and left to cool on a heat proof surface after every use.
Do You Take Care in the Kitchen?
More house fires start in the kitchen than in any other area of the home. Hot stoves and hobs get left on. Tea towels and oven gloves are left near to heat sources and open flames, and chopping boards are left on top of electric hobs. It’s easy to see how fires get started. Take care in your kitchen, consider where you keep things and teach the rest of your family good, safe habits.