However did you know that here in the UK more than 200 people each year go to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning and worse than that 40 people every year will die! Well, until 8 years ago I didn’t know either!
8 years ago I bought my first house, packed up the rented house and shifted my world and my possession into what was to be my pride and joy… my first owned home.
After the removals moved out it was time for baths and bed, As I drifted off to sleep I felt nothing but excitement and contentment at what was to come in this lovely new home.
What I did not expect was being woken 2 hours later by a box downstairs going crazy.
On investigating it was the old carbon monoxide alarm that I had *cough cough* inadvertently packed from the rented house we had just left.
So being the middle of the night and knowing the alarm was thrown about in a box for a couple of hours and was left outside in the cold for most of that day I presumed it was playing up and so reset it and popped it on the mantlepiece.
Less than 10 minutes later it was going nuts once more and at that point I began to panic. After some box destruction trying to find the yellow pages (this was before I had a phone with internet) I gave the National Grid”s Gas Emergency number a call I really thought perhaps its me and they are going to think I am being silly and charge me maybe for wasting their time.
How wrong could I have been, after giving them the story I was instructed to get every person in the house, outside, open all the doors and window and to under no circumstances to go back inside.
After a very cold wait in the car on the drive (well it was November) even if it was for only 35 minutes, it only took a few minutes for the engineer to condemn our boiler on the spot.. the remaining time he was there he was capping off gas supply so we couldn’t use it again.
Another 6 weeks of no boiler followed, but however inconvenient it was for us at that time I have always been incredibly grateful that our carbon monoxide alarm saved us from the silent killer.
I am pleased to say however that CORGI HomePlan are campaigning for every home to get a carbon monoxide alarm and I have to say for me this is one campaign that without a doubt has my support!
We were lucky but we had a carbon monoxide alarm … Do you?
Here is the chance to win one of three carbon monoxide alarms I am giving away on behalf of CORGI HomePlan, so three lucky winners will have peace of mind for them and their family.
All you have to do is follow the Rafflecopter directions below to be in with a chance of winning, although it is for UK residents .. full terms and conditions can be found at the bottom of the Rafflecopter widget.
Subscribe to Blog via Email
© 2015, theoliversmadhouse.co.uk All rights reserved.