While some of you know that most of my cooking/baking ability is fluky. After my first successful bake a few weeks ago I have been looking into making my favourite childhood snack …. Cheese Straws!!
What is it about something you had as a child that still brings back such warm and fuzzy memories??
Now if only I could pull it off half as well as my Mum did those *ahem* 20 something years ago!
- 8 ozs – Self Raising Flour
- 4 ozs – Margarine
- 6 ozs – Grated Hard Cheese (I used mild Cheddar)
- generous pinch of Mustard (powder)
- 2 x eggs (small)
(These ingredients can be altered to increase /decrease depending on the size of the batch you want to make)
- Mix the Mustard powder into the self raising flour
- Rub in Margarine into the self raising flour mix
- Beat eggs and add to the mix
- Add in cheese and mix the whole lot into a stiff paste
- Roll out flat on a floured surface and cut very thinly (I didn’t and underestimated how much they would expand)
- Place on greased baking sheet
- Bake in a moderate oven (350 -375 F or gas mark 4-5) for 15 -20 minutes
When I cook this recipe again I will make an alteration or two.
I love stronger cheese so I would add half and half for the cheese, although this is merely down to a cheese preference nothing more.
I will also be ensuring that I cut the cheeses straws down drastically in size. As mad as it sounds for poor little Joshua it looked more like he was wielding a light sabre than a cheese straw!!
We loved these bad boys and will most certainly be making these again!